Lil Baby’s rise from his humble beginnings is nothing short of meteoric. In just four short years, he has become one of the most influential and successful rap artists in the US. If you’re curious about how he accumulated his net worth, allowing him to build his growing empire, read on.
Born Dominique Armani Jones,Lil Baby is an American rapper who rose to fame when he released his mixtape Perfect Timing in 2017. In 2018, his debut studio album Harder Than Ever was certified as platinum by the Record Industry Association of America (RIAA), selling more than one million units. It included the hit “Yes Indeed” (with Drake) that peaked at number six on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
He followed it up by releasing two more mixtapes in 2018, Drip Harder and Street Gossip. His most popular song to date, “Drip Too Hard”, peaked at number four on the Billboard Hot 100, then at number two on the US Billboard 200.
Lil Baby’s second studio album My Turn was even more successful, reaching number one on the Billboard 200 in 2020. It is certified three times platinum by the RIAA. In June of the same year, his single “The Bigger Picture” became number three on the Hot 100, and it is currently his highest-charting song as a lead artist.
Lil Baby has been nominated for three Grammy Awards, two American Music Awards, two MTV Video Music Awards, and seven BET Awards. During the Apple Music Awards in 2020, he was named the most prominent all-genre Artist of the Year.
According to business magazine Forbes, Lil Baby is worth $5 million at present. This was after the release of his collaborative album with fellow rapper Lil Durk, The Voice of the Heroes, in 2021. It debuted at number one on the Billboard 200.
His income and assets are primarily from his activities as a musician/rapper. His highly anticipated next solo album (no release date yet) is likely to increase his net worth. In addition, he has a record company, 4PF (4 Pockets Full), through which he signed other artists like 42 Dugg and Rylo Rodriguez.
He also opened 4PF Kennel (which stands for 4 Pockets Full Kennel) with a friend who is also a part of his rap crew. The kennel is said to specialize in breeding pit bulls. Furthermore, he has plans to open a restaurant in Atlanta.
Dominique Jones, a.k.a. Lil Baby, was born in Atlanta, Georgia, on December 3, 1994. He was two years old when his father abandoned the family, leaving him and his two sisters to be raised by his mother alone. Growing up in the Oakland City neighborhood, he struggled academically. Because of his troubles at school, he dropped out in the ninth grade.
Only five years before his first taste of success, he was charged for possession with intent to sell illegal drugs. Then in 2013 and 2014, he was arrested again for possession of marijuana.
Despite being incarcerated for two years, he managed to rise up and succeed as an artist. So how did it happen?
After he was released from prison, Lil Baby met up with his childhood friends, learned how to rap, and collaborated on a mixtape that became Perfect Timing. He claimed that it only took two days to finish. Nevertheless, it became hugely popular in Atlanta’s underground music scene.
In December 2017, he uploaded his single “Freestyle” as a music video, gaining massive recognition. (As of September 1, 2021, it has logged over 400 million views on YouTube.) This led to the founding of his record label 4PF, which produced his first studio album, Harder Than Ever.
After that, he recorded more songs and released more albums, both as a solo artist and as a collaborator. Besides Drake, he has worked with several influential music personalities, namely Future, DaBaby, and Lil Wayne.
- One of his singles, “Woah”, became an internet sensation because of a namesake dance challenge that went viral on TikTok. It debuted at number 19 on the Billboard Hot 100 and reached number one on Apple Music within 24 hours of its release.
- Lil Baby has had 47 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, putting him in the league of superstars Prince and Paul McCartney.
- He does not shy away from political activism. On June 12, 2020, he released the political song “The Bigger Picture” in solidarity with the George Floyd protests.
- In May 2021, Lil Baby visited the White House with George Floyd’s family on the first anniversary of his murder. He was able to meet with Kamala Harris, America’s first female, first Black vice president.
- Lil Baby has two sons. The first, Jason, is from a relationship with a former girlfriend, while the second, named Loyal, is with his present girlfriend, model and entrepreneur Jayda Cheaves. Loyal was born in 2019.
- Lil Baby surprised the students at his former school, Booker T. Washington High School in Atlanta, with a performance in March 2020. He donated $150,000 to establish a scholarship program. According to Atlanta Public School officials, the first scholarship was awarded to a student who was accepted to Dartmouth College.
- In the same month, an altercation onstage between promoters and entourage members at one of Lil Baby’s concerts led to one person being shot. The incident occurred at the Bill Harris Arena in Birmingham, Alabama. The concert was shut down after the shot was fired. The unidentified victim survived the shooting, and no one was arrested.
- In July 2021, Lil Baby attended Paris Fashion Week with NBA star James Harden. He and a friend were then arrested for smoking marijuana. Both men were released after they paid a fine for drug use.
- Lil Baby is an incredibly prolific artist. After bursting onto the music scene in 2017, he dropped four projects in only 11 months. He has not slowed down since then.
Lil Baby is proof that a person can overcome numerous challenges and climb to the top of the ladder through hard work and perseverance. He had a difficult childhood and never finished his education. He was even in prison for a couple of years.
Nonetheless, he pursued his rap career untiringly. He is undeniably one of the hardest working musical artists around, but it has to be said that he also owes much of his success to his childhood friends’ support. They still work with him on various projects.